Sunday, October 9, 2011

I did it!

My first ever ½ marathon! I lived. I finished. I ran the entire way. That’s right folks, I completed my first ½ marathon and I LOVED it! Wow…what an amazing feeling when crossing that finish line. Though if you would have asked me at around mile 9 how I felt, I would have said “this kind-of sucks and I want to stop.” But I didn’t! I just kept running and mentally pushed through it. That is the BIGGEST thing for me…mentally telling myself “Alli, you can do this. Just keep running. You got this girl!” Yes, I talked to myself in my mind more than once today. J It worked though.
The day started off with my 5:15am wakeup call from my girl, Susan. She was at my house at 6:10am. Matty Pants (my roommate) dropped us off at 6:30am. We were running by 7:20ish. Our little running team was me, Susan, Rossi & Sarah. We stayed together the first mile and Sarah took the lead. Susan stayed with Rossi & I for about another mile and then took off to catch up with Sarah. Rossi & I stuck together until mile 10, and then she picked up her pace. I was happy with my pace and didn’t feel the need to speed up or hold anyone back. J I finished (I will have final race results in the next day or two) in roughly 2 hours and 40 minutes. My miles got slower in mile 9 through 11 as that was definitely the hardest part for me, but I picked up my pace BIG time in mile 12. I was ready to finish!
Here are some pictures of the day.

Right before we were starting...

Post Race...
My cheerleaders! Thanks to Megan, Aunt Kristy, Mama & Alicia for coming to cheer me on at the finish! That meant more to me than you will EVER know! A special thanks to Mama & Alicia for bring me Chick-fil-a! What a wonderful and perfect surprise.Love you!
 The Javernick Cheering Crew!
 The Runners!
 Watch out world...we are some tough ladies! Well, Rossi, Sarah & I...I guess Susan was to good to flex her arm muscels.
 Individual portraits with the #1 finger!



 My girls Rossi & Susan...thanks for the encouragement and all the training! Couldn't have done this without you ladies.


 And one final picture of the Javernicks. Aren't they all beautiful girls??!?! I sure think so. :)

I would like to leave you with a final thought. One thing I learned about myself during the training and the race today...I am a strong woman! Sure, I've always thought of myself as a strong woman, but after today I know I am!  I've never been a "runner/endurance athlete," rather just athletic and good at sports, but after today I know I am more of an endurance athlete. I can do anything I put my mind too. Totally cliché , but also very true. I encourage you to find something you typically wouldn't consider doing and do it! At least once. At the end, you might surprise yourself and if not, you learn a lot about yourself along the way. :)

An a EXTRA thank you to my Aunt Kristy for hosting a family dinner tonight! The food was amazing (like always!) and it was wonderful getting to spend a few hours with my Grandma, Uncle John, Mark & Anten. I have the most amazing family in the world. :)

Now, off to bed. It's been a long day and I am so tired. At least I have tomorrow off. The joys of working for the US Government! Oh and I have a first date tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Alli

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so proud/jealous/excited for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ROCKED it Alli! Running a marathon is so mental and I'm super proud of you for pushing through. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!! Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete